Here are my top five moments of this season’s The Vampire Diaries– let me know in the comments what you think! Did I miss any?
- Elena and Stefan’s pretend proposal. The Vampire Diaries does such a great job with humor- I really wish they would attempt it more frequently. Anyway, this scene was near the beginning of the season, when Stefan tried to start over in a new town. Elena came by to talk to him, and he ended up showing her how fun and easy it could be to pretend to be someone new. Here, Stefan and Elena ‘get engaged’ in front of a bar full of people, complete with fake pregnancy.
- Elena and Damon’s kiss in the rain. Sure, Elena doesn’t remember it, but I’m such a sucker for the torrential downpour kiss that one day I’m bound to catch vicarious hypothermia. This was when Damon spirited Elena away from the hospital fundraiser to try and regain her memories on the border of Mystic Falls. No luck, but we did get to see the night of the meteor shower where Elena made Damon promise that they would be together forever. My heart. It aches.
- Kai tries to murder Damon after they first meet by filling his bourbon bottles with vervain. Honestly, I was so excited to finally meet whoever else was stranded with Bonnie and Damon on The Other Side, and this entrance was the cherry on top of the proverbial ice cream sundae. Kai, our resident charming sociopath, makes his entrance in a big way, and the shock factor was fantastic. Kai and Bonnie’s onscreen chemistry is palpable, so I also want that to be a thing in the future.
- Enzo stabbing Stefan with a fork at the most awkward dinner party. Maybe this is mostly because I wanted to stab Stefan with a fork during this entire season. Enzo and Caroline are at Stefan’s house chatting up Ivy around the dinner table when Stefan makes Caroline cry. Enzo finds this unacceptable (Caroline 5evas!), and takes matters into his own hands. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a clip of the violence, but I did find one of the dinner party discussing how Enzo is a ‘neck person’ and goading Stefan into admitting he’s a vampire.
- Damon and Alaric giving Stefan shit for not knowing that Caroline had the feelings for him. Best dialogue of the entire season. It showcased the friendship between the three male characters and provided a much-needed moment of levity after the doom and gloom earlier this season (not to mention the trainwreck that was Friendsgiving over at Caroline’s place.) This scene was also carried by none other than the famous Ms. Cuddles, the stuffed bear who deserves countless accolades. Plus, I ship Staroline like no other. “1. She’s hot. Objectively. 2. She puts up with you.” Amen, Ric. This has been the season of Stefan’s jerkiness and he needed some perspective.