San Diego Comic Con 2017 hopefuls! This Saturday, we’re going to knock one more lottery off of the looooong list of lotteries that has become SDCC. Open Registration emails have gone out and you should have received yours already, but you can also sign into your Member ID for the same information located in the email.
The Open Registration process is relatively unchanged since last year, but we’ve got your last minute guide to make sure that you’ve got the best chances possible at obtaining a badge.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
Unfortunately, not everyone is going to be able to participate in the Open Registration Process. If you bought Preview Night during Pre-Registration sales, you are not eligible to participate in Open Registration. Likewise, if you did not register a Member ID before March 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM PST, you are not eligible to participate in Open Registration.
If you still aren’t sure whether or not you are eligible for the Open Registration madness, you can log into your Member ID and it will show you at the top of your account and also under the Registration Info tab. You will be able to see all of your information, as well as your Registration Code and a link to the Waiting Room.
If your email address is on file incorrectly or you’ve opted out of receiving emails from CCI, you will not be getting notice of Open Registration, so checking your Member ID may be the only option for some.
I’M ELIGIBLE, NOW WHAT?
Thoroughly read the email sent out by Comic Con International regarding Open Registration and also check through their FAQs on the Toucan Blog to make sure that all of your questions about the process are answered.
Using the Waiting Room link found in your email or once you log into your Member ID, you will authorize your registration code between 8:00 AM PST and 8:59 AM PST on April 8. At 9:00 AM PST sharp, the Waiting Room will close to new entrants and eligible participants will be randomly sorted into groups for badge buying. Once that’s complete, shortly after 9:00 AM PST, hopefuls will begin being let into the room to buy badges.
Unlike last year, you will not need an address to mail purchased badges to – badges will be mailed directly to the address associated with the Member ID. Verify that your mailing address associated with your Member ID is correct no later than May 18, 2017.
Before you enter the waiting room, make sure that you have your payment method on hand and the last names and Member IDs of anyone you want to buy badges for (you can buy up to 3, including for yourself). This will make it easier for you when you do get to the page where you can buy badges, as you only have 15 minutes to complete your purchases.
Be aware of the pricing of badges as well, in case you are planning to purchase more than one. One 4-Day Badge with Preview Night will set you back $265 this year.
I’M IN THE ROOM!
Congratulations! You’re one step closer to attending SDCC 2017 with thousands of your newest friends! Once you get to the point of buying badges, you’ll be shown what days are left available for purchase and you will have 15 minutes to make all the necessary purchases for yourself and anyone else you may be buying a badge for.
It’s also important to discuss beforehand about plans should days begin selling out. For example, is the Thursday/Sunday split good enough or do you want to try again next year as soon as Saturday badges sell out? These days, there are more than enough events happening inside the Gaslamp that don’t require a badge to keep you busy, but it is something to keep in mind.
OTHER OPEN REGISTRATION CONSIDERATIONS
- Keep badge prices in mind: $265 each for a 4-Day plus Preview Night badge. You can purchase up to three, totaling $795. Make sure that you are only purchasing badges for those you know and trust, as their badge is shipped directly to them this year.
- You can only purchase badges for others who are eligible for the Open Registration process.
- Each registration code is good for one entry into the Waiting Room. Don’t share your code with anyone else, it will result in you being locked out of the badge buying process!
- The Preview Night badge option may only be purchased if you buy a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday badge OR if you have already purchased a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badge during Returning Registration.
- The Expo Logic badge registration system is not formatted for iPads, tablets, or mobile devices.
If you are accidentally removed from the Expo Logic waiting room or temporarily lose connectivity, Don’t Panic. As long as you entered the Expo Logic waiting room prior to 9:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT), simply return to the waiting room link and re-enter your registration code. Removal from the waiting room will not impact your chances of being randomly selected for a registration session.
Still confused? Here are some of our favorite helpful links:
- CCI’s Open Registration Page and the FAQs: Get the information directly from the source!
- SDCC Unofficial Blog’s Visual Guide: Take a look at what some of the landing pages will look like so that you know what to expect!
- Some other accounts to follow on Twitter including @comic_con, @SDCCnerdsattack, @friendsofcci, and @SD_Comic_Con. You should also keep an eye on the #SDCC and #OpenReg2017 hashtags. People will share their joy and frustration with you and you can commiserate with everyone else who is trying to beat the odds and score tickets!